21 Dec Tis The Season For Love , Joy, Laughter and Maybe a Touch of Anxiety……..
As we wrap up 2015 and getting ready for 2016 let’s take the anxiety, confusion and the overwhelming nature of healthcare out. Using the right Patient Advocate will help you organize, empower and achieve the care you deserve. A Patient Advocate is a caring, knowledgeable and compassionate professional that will set the wheels in motion for an optimal health experience. Here is a list of To Do’s so you can achieve your optimal health experience in 2016.
- Gather all medical bills to see if there are any discrepancies in what was charged.
- Did you receive that service?
- Were you supposed to receive that service but it was cancelled?
- Are the dates and time correct?
- Is your discharge time correct?
- Compare your bills to your medical records and make sure they match.
- Are you or your loved ones getting the best price for the services and medications you need?
- Do your research and compare. (Be a savvy shopper.)
- New diagnoses or recurring diagnoses?
What’s my options?
- Do your homework. Be an informed shopper. Know all your options.
- Are there new medications or treatments?
- The Right To Try http://www.ncsl.org/documents/health/RighttoTry2015.pdf
- Medical Tourism? http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2016/the-pre-travel-consultation/medical-tourism
- Managing your care.
- Knowing your 10 healthcare benefits that is covered by your insurance. https://www.healthcare.gov/blog/10-health-care-benefits-covered-in-the-health-insurance-marketplace/
- Knowing what your preventive care coverage is and using it. http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/about-the-law/preventive-care/index.html#
- Taking the time to understand the in’s and out’s of your healthcare insurance before you need to use it.
- Being present when you visit with your Doctor
- Write down a list of questions and concerns before your Doctor’s visit.
- Make sure you get all questions and concerns addressed by your Doctor
- Take your time( remember this is your appointment concerning your health, so be sure to take your time and not rush)
- Take notes
- Make sure you write down Doctor’s health assessment of you. If not understanding ask Doctor to explain until you do.
- What’s your Doctor’s game plan for you?
- Strategize your game plan with your Doctor so the wheels are in motion for your optimal health experience.
Now you have your” To Do”, list so you can achieve your optimal health experience!